Residents are being warned to watch out for doorstep scammers asking for cash, personal details or bank details in exchange for food parcel deliveries or other goods and services during the Coronavirus outbreak. Here are some useful things to be aware of when avoiding scams:
- Food parcels are free for people who have been identified as vulnerable and no one will be asked to pay for them
- Your bank or the police will NEVER – repeat NEVER – ask for your bank details over the phone.
- Remember, your doctor’s surgery will NEVER call or text you to ask you to verify your NHS number and date of birth.
- If you receive an unexpected call offering help and assistance, DO NOT give any personal details as it might be a scam. Offer to return the call after carrying out checks.
- If you receive an unexpected doorstep call from a stranger offering to do your shopping, DO NOT hand over cash or your bank card. It’s far better to ask someone you know and trust for help.
- If you receive unexpected doorstep callers offering coronavirus home testing kits, decline, close the door and call trading standards. They are likely to be scammers.
- Be cautious and listen to your instincts. Don’t be afraid to hang up, bin it, delete it or shut the door.
- If someone claims to represent a charity, ask them for identification. Be suspicious of requests for money up front.
- If you are online, be aware of fake news and use trusted sources of information such as gov.uk or NHS.uk websites. Make sure you type the address in and DON’T click on links in emails.
- Always protect your financial information, especially from people you don’t know. NEVER give your bank card or PIN to a stranger.
- With any UNEXPECTED communication, trust your instincts. Can you be sure they are who they say they are? If in doubt, always say NO.
Report scams or suspected criminal activity to: Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or if you need advice, call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 11133.[/pb_text][/pb_column][pb_column span="span4"][pb_image el_title="Image 1" image_file="images/60c764357c0673052bcf320110d4a8cd.png" image_size="fullsize" link_type="url" image_type_url="https://www.nationaltradingstandards.uk/news/beware-of-covid19-scams/" open_in="new_browser" image_container_style="no-styling" image_alignment="center" appearing_animation="0" ][/pb_image][/pb_column][/pb_row]